Monday, March 12, 2012

Nothing to Hide?

Privacy advocate Daniel Solove regularly encounters the argument that decent people should have "nothing to hide," and therefore should not mind intrusive surveillance. He asked readers of his blog what responses they suggest to the statement, and got these answers:
  • My response is "So do you have curtains?" or "Can I see your credit-card bills for the last year?"
  • So my response to the "If you have nothing to hide ... " argument is simply, "I don't need to justify my position. You need to justify yours. Come back with a warrant."
  • I don't have anything to hide. But I don't have anything I feel like showing you, either.
  • If you have nothing to hide, then you don't have a life.
  • Show me yours and I'll show you mine.
  • It's not about having anything to hide, it's about things not being anyone else's business.
  • Bottom line, Joe Stalin would [have] loved it. Why should anyone have to say more?

No comments: